Thursday, August 7, 2008

Mum i've been shooting: 通讯员 internal camp 07

My first multi-day super assignment came in the form of a 4d3n camp. Both equipment and operator were taxed to the limit. To me this is the perfect endurance training.

More after the break...

The camp was held at changi MOE adventure camp site, and I was to provide coverage for the entire event.

What is challenging is the multitude of conditions I had to shoot in. Indoors, outdoors, bright sunlight, dark campfires, rain or shine, my job is to document the games, and capture the smiles. And continue to do so with less than 4 hours of sleep every night. Don't forget the slideshow at the end of the event as well.

Photos are expected to be more aesthetically pleasing than meaningful, so I got to experiment a lot of unorthodox angles, which is where I really get to learn. Shoehorn a UWA into someone's face? No problem. Super-slow sync? Off camera flash? Zoom burst? Whatever you can think of. Just... impress.

With a camera in my hand for extended hours, I really understood its ergonomics and limitations. I learnt to handle the equipment by instinct, like counting the no. of clicks when turning the dials, or swapping lenses without looking down. It is in situations like this that I really thank Nikon for putting so much attention into ergonomics. A little flaw in the balance, or a mistake in the shape of the grip would definitely show up the next day in the form of muscle aches.

Adrenaline is also kept high. One has to 眼观四面, 耳听八方, or at least try to maintain that level of vigilance. There are moments where you will just want to slack, but the thought of missing the action, missing the smile, or maybe missing THAT million $ shot will really push you to endure.

All is not done when everyone else goes to sleep. We had to process the photos, and this is where I get to learn how to streamline the workflow: Being critical in selecting pictures, and keeping the edits simple and fast, how you separate the selected, edited or resized photos from the rest of the pool without making too many duplicates... Working with event photography isn't quite the same as hobby photoshoots... all these factors are critical in getting the presentation delivered on time, and in style.

The article was published on 2nd of January 2008. Though I didn't get paid for this (coz its a combined effort), just going through the training is worth the effort. Of course, seeing your pictures blown up on paper is a real bonus =D

0 comments:

Post a Comment