Monday, August 25, 2008

In the field: Gigi @ Tampines Mall

Once in a blue moon I do get the chance to go shoot for WanBao. Their articles usually have more readers. Might be a good chance to gain publicity =) One such opportunity came in a form of a last minute call to shoot some HK celebrity who happened to be in SG. More after the break...

I'm a mountain turtle when it comes to the realm of celeb and pop world. When the photodesk told me i was to shoot Gigi Lai and Aileen, I had no idea who they were. "gigi? Wasn't that the malay term for 'tooth'?" Oh well, since i happened to have an assignment later that day at the same region, i took on this assignment and immediately set off, didn't even google about who's the person. Come to think of it, that was quite risky. I may have banged into her unaware... but thats rare i think.

Once on location, i realised what sh*t i got myself into... an army of compact/handphone wielding aunties. Believe me, their fanatism is a force to reckon with. No amount of equipment or press pass u display can repel them. But hey, I've got a big zoom and a powerful flash, and some height advantage. I decided not to be polite (since it will most certainly not be recipocrated) After observing how the organizers move, I found myself a strategic position and stand rooted to the ground, conveniently blocking the view of quite some people. (they can buy the paper afterwards)

Arrival of VIP. Flash head-on, full auto, OTOT carry on. What intrigued me was the technology of cosmetics nowadays. Gigi's nano-coated face can take any intensity of flash you throw at her, and just refuse to hot-spot. I sometimes get a feeling that her light complexion might be attributed more to the xenon beams she receive than any weird water she may be promoting. Just IMHO.

Soon came the interview session, and i had to wade through the crowd to get to the press area. I don't know if it was intentional, but the reporter came in from behind gigi and forced her to turn her head sideways against the illuminated advertisement board. Well done! The soft-box sidelight effect was simply flattering, and I hogged my position throughout the interview, contentedly spamming my shutter at any chance of more unique expressions. Nobody gave way for me to get out anyway, so why should I give up my prime angle? (ok i'm a fishmonger) To be even more selfish, I added watermarks on pics posted here lol.

Ok, learning points from the assignment: Google the VIP if you are a mountain turtle like me. Then try to be early to access the situation and lookout for prime angles. Do not use big shoulder bags if possible. Watch out for expressions... celebs already have alot of generic poses, so you don't wanna repeat them. Ask the reporter what exactly do they need, so you won't waste effort in getting shots that end up discarded.

Article published 030808

0 comments:

Post a Comment