Saturday, August 16, 2008

Mum i've been shooting: 文化营08 @ DTE

This happened to be my 3rd multi-day event, the 2nd being 迎新 which was a flop. This was the first time we produced a proper slideshow on time =D Of course this represented a significant improvement in our workflow, especially since we have 5 photogs on site. Click on to find out more.

3 day event, I was there for 2. Boss didn't let me off for the first day.

I always view big events as a test of my level, a gauge of how far i've come. The list of improvements are as follows:

1. Workflow. Having 5 photogs on site and having to juggle >10GB of photos with only 512MB of RAM isn't exactly easy. We synchronised all our camera clocks so all our photos come out in sequence. We also came out with an efficient rating system, being able to sieve 70+ pictures out of thousands within 3hrs. Although we still didn't get much sleep, our slideshow could be presented on time, autonomously, with music and transitions all in. Except for lousy projector which we couldn't do anything about, I guess this was as good as we've come.

2. Agility. First major event using the ThinkTank Changeup. Wet or dry, I could have all my gear with me. Even brought them into Wildwildwet, while keeping them dry with the raincover. Good stuff. Much less tired than usual at the end of the day as well.

3. White Balance. WB in de-tente was horrendous. Green floor and fluorescent is a lousy combi. I learnt to adjust WB to as close to perfect as possible, using a combination of live-view and WB fine-adjustments. 2 sets of WB settings, 1 for flash and 1 ambient, and switching between the 2 on the fly. Gelled up the flash to match fluorescent as well. RAW was out of the option as I do not have enough capacity and computing power to process them on time.

New aims for the next event? At least 2 computers to expedite the sorting and processing. (now that most of us have new laptops). More use of off camera flash for more "kick". More flash units for the group shot so we can go below ISO1600. Of course, grabbing more and better shots.

Event held in May08, published a week after that.

0 comments:

Post a Comment