Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Mum i've been shooting: In the SPH auditorium

Many activities take place within this auditorium. Problem is, the lighting is usually crap. Ceilings are 3 stories high, and walls are colored and dull. Bulbs are all tungsten tinted. This is the place I learnt how to light indoors.
More after the break...

When I first joined SYD, I was told that the auditorium is a killer for many newbies. Not only is it because of the crap lighting, but because of the photos you have to take inside. Group photos. Event photos. Photos that need DOV, and relatively high shutter speeds.

When I started off shooting there with my D70 and kit lens, my ISO was always maxed out, along with the aperture. Still had to compromise on the shutter at 1/30th. Either that or work your flash doubly hard.

Colour temperature was also pretty orangy. Without the ability to fine tune WB, I had to shoot RAW most of the time. But I did learn how to get around such problems. Low lighting? Slow sync instead. Orange lights? Gel up the flash.

I got my 2.8 lenses eventually, and with the further procurement of the D300, shooting in the auditorium is now much more manageable. I can now concentrate on the finer aspects of photography, like capturing distinct moments. Equipment counts for indoor event photography. Of course you don't need exotic equipment, but 2.8 glass helps a lot. A flash is almost necessary. So if you see yourself shooting many events in the future, save up and gun for fast glass straight. Saves you the upgrading costs.

There were also pretty unique situations, like shooting someone giving presentations. Balancing exposure between what is projected on the screen, and the speaker in the foreground. It isn't always easy. Colour temperature of the projector is different from ambient and flash. I was taught to expose for the screen, while we light the speaker by flash. However, bouncing the flash also brightens up the screen, while shooting direct will result in ugly shadows. Till now my solution is to shoot ambient (ie without flash). I'd like to try off camera flashing in the when the opportunity arises.

Then there is the all important group shot, lighting up 5-6 rows of people with a single flash. Pressure is on you to command the group, and you have to get it right on the first go. I'll have to come up with standard operating procedures for this, but right now we still can't produce group shots worthy of going beyond 8R.

Experience in shooting in this audi has certainly given me confidence of shooting in less than ideal conditions.

0 comments:

Post a Comment