Tuesday, December 25, 2007

What is hairy in front, and bald at the back?


Opportunity
- When it approaches u head-on,
You have no idea what it is.
The moment it passes-by,
There is nothing behind to cling onto.

I remembered when I first shot this photo - a hazy afternoon, gloomy and sad. When there was a sudden break in the sky, I scrambled downstairs for this shot (see post one). It was the first IR shot I ever made, and because I planned it long before-hand, it was a success.

But just because it was a shot taken from a park downstairs, I did not treasure it, and failed to backup. A recent hard-disk crash erased it, and now it was gone.

As year end approaches, I decided to compile my best landscape photos taken this year into a 2008 calender. Browsing through the pictures on my blog, I came to realise that this, together with many other IR shots, were one of the best landscapes I could have had. Perhaps due to the trouble of setting up such a picture, each shot was elaborately planned, resulting in almost 80% keeper rate (thats a lot!). Omfg.. all the original IR shots were lost.

In my bid to retrieve at least one picture, I waited for a gloomy afternoon, and went down to the exact same location for a re-shoot. To my horror, the table is already partly damaged, and a large tree to the right uprooted sometime ago.

Moral of story - nothing is permanent. Backup all pictures you like if you haven't already done so. What is gone can never be retrieved again.

7 comments:

yaya said...

halo.
did my previous msg appear? nvm.

anw, did you add any effect to this pic? coz it looks like it's snowing.. but definitely there's no snow in Singapore..

and i know you're using photoshop to do the effect of BnW.. but where is masking icon/function? where do i click or sth? lolx.. suan le.. next time you demo to me bah.. =)

This is me, said...

Ppl usually dun leave msgs on my blog, hence the low freq of me signing in to check.

Picture is taken in Infra-Red. Leaves and grass reflect the most infra-red light, hence they are white. Diffusion filter added for artistic glow.

For the masking, it's not easy to explain online. U could do a search on photoshop techniques. I could also demo should there be a chance.

yaya said...

lolx.
then next time shall not leave a comment then. ha. =P

yaya said...

but at least i learn sth!
"Picture is taken in Infra-Red. Leaves and grass reflect the most infra-red light, hence they are white. Diffusion filter added for artistic glow."

WOW!! ha. k. shall be my last msg then. heez.

This is me, said...

hmm... do i sense a bit of frustration?

Comments are encouraged. Problem is due to lack of comments, i've gave up signing in frequently to check, so comments will take time to be approved & published.

For others reading this blog, do comment. I know who u are.

yaya said...

ha. no frustration, no frustration.
sorry if i sound offensive x)

perhaps you want to add a tagboard so tt you can interact with your readers?

=)

This is me, said...

i tried including a tagboard b4. Nobody used.. end up looking messy only.

Post a Comment