Friday, December 7, 2007

Should I just stop here?

Another rant post, without photos. Weather isn't spectacular, and i'm not really in the mood to shoot anyway.

Almost done editing photos from the penang shoot. Thinking through what i've did so far, I'm forced to ask myself this qn: Should I stop?

I'm a cheapo. I keep holding back my purchases despite knowing how much they can help me improve. I keep thinking that I can shoot like a pro without the need for pro equipment, so long as i develop proper skills. All these because I know I will not go pro, and my equipment will never pay for itself.

Conventional, photojournalistic, documentary shots are now not much a problem. But they aren't challenging. Any bloke owning the right gear would nail them. To go beyond and shine, i'll really need to pump in big bucks.

1) Fast lens. At least a 2.8 zoom, or go for primes. I can contend myself with the flat flashed images, or go get some primes to shoot the really outstanding mood shots. The cheapest 2.8 zoom retails for 600++, and good primes will cost in excess of 1k.

2) Hot body. Either a d300, or get a canon 40d. I've seen how much a hot bod can help nail the shot. Not only with their fast fps, the superior AF system and low ISO noise will give me lots of advantages. Pros can laugh, quoting how they one-shot-one-killed in many situations, but they end up sporting a d2/1d series anyway.

3) Stable tripod. Call me a cheapo, but i'm still waiting for the super steady ballhead tripod retailing below 200 bucks.

But being a cheapo, I'm reluctant to spend. I don't want people to think I dunno how to prioritise my needs, buying exotic equipment just to get photos that don't earn money. It's all about satisfaction. It's just a hobby. Maybe I should just forget about all these and contend myself with normal pictures any tom dick and harry would get.

0 comments:

Post a Comment