Sunday, December 2, 2007

Verdict - No D300, No more weddings!

It may sound really extreme. There are pros out there shooting d200 weddings, and maybe some d100/d70 pros as well. But in my case, i couldn't be more pissed than missing so many shots because of a body.

Smiles, kisses, handshakes, laughters; the very moments of joy and jubilation that defines a wedding reception all took place spontaneously and without warning. To me, it's like walking into a battlefield. Everywhere i turn, there's a scene crying to be shot, rare and precious memories waiting to be captured. I cannot fail. It's a once-in-a-lifetime thing.

While I am still far from psychic, I expect my equipment to be at least be as responsive as myself. When I point it at a face, it should lock focus, ok, at least try to achieve focus. But NO. The cam900 system took 0.5sec to START moving the focus, and then another 0.5-1sec to lock focus (if it managed to lock at all) This is like a gun that fires a sec after u pulled the trigger. I'm be better off dead.

The lower resolution of the cameras doesn't make them the ideal choice for group shots as well, especially when the iso1600 noise obscures the fine details.

Fortunately, Nikon's D300 seems like its made specially for the job. With its d2-beating AF system, and noise comparable to a Canon, it is the ideal and most logical upgrade for me. Sadly, very sadly, it retails for SGD2700, and it's unlikely to drop price anytime soon. Looks like i'll have to turn down wedding assignments till i saved up enough for the new toy.

0 comments:

Post a Comment