Sunday, May 11, 2008

ThinkTank Change-Up - First Impressions

A new lens changes one's shooting perspectives, but a new bag will change one's shooting experience. Read on to find out about my first impressions of the Change-Up after 2 days of assignments.

On Saturday, I wore the full load (80-200 f2.8, 12-24, 17-50, SB800, D300 + grip, 8 extra AA batteries, umbrella and 1 full water bottle) All the way from 2pm to almost 7pm. I did not bother to take them off, even as I stood through all the MRT trips. At the end of the day, I could hardly feel any strain from the load. Full marks for carrying comfort. Impressive.

Throughout the event, I get to constantly switch lenses as and when I feel like it. It is just so natural. In the past, I have to #1 shrug my shoulder to allow my hand to reach into the bag, and #2 use 1 hand to hold the flap open, #3 keep still so the bag doesn't pendulum around. Doesn't sound difficult, but try it when ur bag weighs about 5 kilos. I usually choose to leave the bag on my seat, and return to it for lens changing. I chose to risk not getting the shot I want, in return for a less shoulder strain. It is also risky as someone might go steal your stuff.

Right now the whole process is just so natural I felt WEIRD to be changing lenses as I walk around.
Full marks for accessibility. No doubt about that.


And when I had to suddenly rush in front to grab spontaneous shots from low angles, I just.. do it. In the past, I'll have to crash my whole bag onto the ground doing so. No doubt the bag is thickly padded, but is it really necessary?

But before I give full marks for agility, I do noted 1 problem. With the 2 chimp cages on the sides, it can take a while to get used to the added width of your body. I can barely get through MRT gantries, if I don't rotate the pack. Something I have to get used to, but a possible disadvantage when fighting through crowds. 9/10 for agility.

Finally, I shopped for an hour in Plaza Singapura after the assignment (something i don't think i'll be able to do in the past... too shag at the end of a shoot). Nope, I don't get weird looks. Perhaps people are used to flamboyant outfits on orchard road, but I doubt looks isn't as big a problem as I initially thought. It's worth adding that I wore it "reversed", other than in front as recommended on the site, so now it really looks like an SBO, rather than a fake belly. Heck. I see people carrying large guitar cases, and they seem proud of it. I should be proud of the new look too. It's probably because as photographers, we are naturally more observant than the rest, and in return become more self conscious.

Earlier in the day, as I strolled past a guy stopped in the middle of the path trying hard to stuff a lens back into his crumpler, I can't help but flash a smile at him. I was cleaning my tokina while walking towards the MRT station. Ha!

0 comments:

Post a Comment