Tuesday, April 15, 2008

It's all about being there

清明时节雨纷纷, this is particularly true for me this year. I yearned for a stunning sunrise, with the gleaming sun bursting through the morning mist, amidst the padi fields in a kampung setting. Just the thought of the picture is enough to keep me awake the night before... and the first sounds of rain prevented me from falling asleep thereafter. Althought it was reduced to a drizzle around 6am, I couldn't see any stars in the sky, and this can only mean 1 thing - Heavy cloud cover. Not the best day for a sunrise dude...

But I had only one chance... seeing that my cousins were already awake, we drove into the darkness, heading for any roadside padi-fields available (no chance to recce the day before). Arrived, deployed, and only after 2 exposures, we were hit by yet another wave of showers. Cold and hungry, I felt guilty for bringing my cousins outfield. And then... miracle happened.

A hole opened up in the sky, revealing pink fluffy clouds beyond. Stalks began flying in squadrons before me, intercepting perfectly with the opening. This is no opportunity to miss. If there had to be only one picture from this trip, it had to be made now. Shot as many as possible before my filter gets smeared with raindrops. It is hard to catch the birds in a graceful formation... their wings were hardly in sync. Toyed with the idea of cloning... but heck... this is nature... nothing is perfect.

Lesson learnt: Opportunity is random and hardly predictable. It's all about being ready... it's all about being there.



4 comments:

Sen said...

Yes! One very important thing I've learnt in photography is by just being there to shoot. Grab each and every opp that comes by.

When there are sudden surprises, you have to be fast!

and that is wat I normally fail to do! I can't react fast enough!

I guess this has got to do with practice. how well verse you are with your camera.

Nice picture by the way!

This is me, said...

No lah... impt is cannot kanchiong! Haha.

Some form of anticipation is usually required. This is even more important when you have more than 1 lens, and if u are caught in the rain with the wrong lens... hehe good luck.

Anyway thanks for the comments =)

yaya said...

one word for this pic:
BREATHTAKING.
=)

the slideshows below reminds me of my childhood in china~ ah~~!!
nice pics but it's a pity that the slides change too fast, cant finish reading the words below...

anw, hope I can have the chance to take sunset/sunrise pics too!
*grins*

ps: I really took a deep breath when I first this birds-flying-amongst-the-clouds pic..

=)

This is me, said...

Wah thx efun =)

Yah the slideshow damn lousy loh... i'm looking around for better ways to present photostories in the future.

Sunset/sunrise pics are usually about patience and anticipation, and making a point to be there to shoot. It's not that hard actually.

Post a Comment