Saturday, January 5, 2008

On the way to commit the same mistake again?

"A good carpenter never blames his tools"

This is a phrase I really hope to believe in. 3 years ago, my dad was on the verge of upgrading our 2nd hand, 20+ year old piano. I told him to wait, despite knowing that there would definitely be an improvement if we upgraded. Beethoven learnt on a piano found from a junk yard. So why couldn't I carry on with the old one? A new piano would cost in excess of 8k, and that is a hideous sum of money, for a piece of instrument that has only one application.

In the end I stopped my lessons due to NS, and have yet to consider carrying on now that I ORDed. I thought it was lucky that we did not upgrade. But on hindsights, should the piano in the living room be a brand new one, I would have forced myself to carry on.

Today, I'm in the same dilemma again. My d70 has contracted terminal illness, and wouldn't be worth repairing due to high costs. I've decided to wait... just carry on using it till it breaks into pieces, despite knowing that much more powerful cameras are available. Award winning photographs were made with even older cameras, why should I upgrade? 2.6k for an instrument that only shoots photographs is an enormous sum too.

The future for my photography seems bleak. In half a years time I'll be in uni, and might not have the luxury of time to shoot much. I can still stay on in 摄影队,but I've not seen any uni students still shooting as a student photojournalist.

Will this hobby just die out on me? I'm beginning to see myself as a guy who cannot sustain interests. Everything is just 三分钟热度. I despise myself...

Shit.

5 comments:

Ryan said...

don't worry. same things happen to me too. 3min热度...at least this is the one that lasted the longest ant still going on =D

sen said...

I dunno wats yur purpose to take pictures...but the fact that u first bought your D70 babe means that u take it quite seriously liao..

my reason? I just love to take pictures of people close to me and keep the pictures as memories. I feel good and have a sense of satisfaction when I can take pictures for people in which can let them remember that memory forever..

wat's yours?

This is me, said...

The problem here is the ever growing demand to improve, and the temptation to upgrade to newer technology. =)

Memories are important, and the d70 is no slouch at capturing them. In fact, with my current configuration, I dare say I can shoot more than what the average person can remember. Travel, holidays or even family portraits.

However, I want to go beyond the surface, to bring out the soul of pictures, creating images that evoke not only the memory of a place/event, but the emotions, allowing the viewer to feel as if he is right beside you, see as you see, feel as you feel. It gives me great satisfaction when someone stares at your picture and say "wow".

I'm currently feeling the limitations from this camera. Upgrading is expensive, and i cannot sell the d70 since it is already damaged. I don't want to have 2 cameras but leave them in the drybox everyday while I study.

sen said...

sell d70 to cash converters? =P they accept all sorts of cameras.. but at a lower price..ai ya..keep your d70 la.. make your own camera gallery milestones!

This is me, said...

Aiyoh... i'd rather keep it than sell it to cash converter. They suck blood one... last time quote me 10 bucks for a fully working monitor, end up i give to kalanguni man loh.

Its good to have 2 bodies, no need to change lens also, but just how often would i get to shoot so action packed events?

Post a Comment