Monday, January 5, 2009

A year in review: 2008

Due to some stupid eye injury, i spent the last 2 days thinking and sleeping (what else can one do with his eyes closed?) My right eye still shows a blur mess, but at least it can open without feeling pain now. This post isn't going to have any pictures, so click on if u are interested in rants...

Remembering the moment when I first created this blog, the title was "shoot first, think later". That was my first phase in photography, to work out my techniques and familiarize myself with this hobby. It wasn't long before I grew out of that stage, looking out for unique angles, more details and trying to present them from a visually pleasing angle. Realizing the change, I renamed my blog to what it is now - "art from ordinary".

My works in 2008 more or less remains within the above description. I've added quite a lot of new gear, and they all serve to create more opportunities and angles for me to explore. While the quantity of the keepers improved substantially, have the quality improved?

To a certain extent, yes. There are images that were not even possible to create without the new stuff. I'm now able to shoot faster, longer, in less light and with less noise. But I'm afraid that is where it all ends. As I was browsing through past works, I was surprised at the lack of satisfaction I could derive from them. Most of the pictures could only relate what I saw, but not what I felt. Anyone with the same equipment and skill standing at the same location would have been able to create the same image. The human touch is lacking. There is no soul. This may all be stemmed from the lack of purpose when I made the images. And this is where I will work towards in the new year:

Capturing more than what the eyes can see.

0 comments:

Post a Comment