Friday, January 2, 2015

New year, new technique. Hello 2015!


Thanks for waiting =).

Just like previous years, is an uneventful sunrise. I did notice an increased crowd, and some photogs were pretty hardcore (dragging trolley bags of photog equipment!). There was a slight drizzle, so pardon the lens flares.

This is my first hyperlapse project. Although it's really short, it took me a whole day to process. Most of the time was spent stabilizing the footage. Due to the crowd, I couldn't stay on my intended track, and there were some instances where my view was blocked, or where I accidentally adjusted the tripod leg as I moved (See comparison after the break).





On hindsight, it seems that warp stabilizer didn't help too much, but added some weird jello effect towards the end instead. Hmm..

Ok enough technical stuff. Now for the homework =P

Thinking back about 2014, the most memorable moment had to be my 3 weeks workshop at Telluride. It was indeed a breath-taking experience (literally and figuratively), and I was glad I made the trip to Arches and Canyonlands too. True, these are much photographed scenes, but nothing beats seeing (and shooting) them yourself.

Brazil was also a special trip, but having 2 trips spaced a couple of weeks apart was quite tiring. It did took out some photog enthusiasm going from Telluride to Sao Paulo. Together with the bad stuff about crime in Rio, I made the decision to leave the EM5 at home (what a pity... coming to think of it).

Academically not too productive. While I may have 2 conference papers and a pending journal paper, I find my work lacking the "X" factor.. which makes me doubt if I was working out of passion or just a program requirement.

2015 will be a watershed year for research. If I wanna make a breakthrough, this is the time. Photography will have to take 2nd place for now..


0 comments:

Post a Comment