Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Another year has gone by…

fb_7

Yes. This blog is almost forgotten, with only 6 (now 7) posts this year. But photographically speaking, there were major changes to my gear and vision…

The purchase of the EM5 and buying into the M43 system has got me hooked onto using primes (also because I am no longer taking assignments). The use of primes allows for a very small camera setup, yet achieving superior quality in low light. I am glad I now feel confident travelling without a zoom. There are limitations, but the advantages cannot be underestimated too. Yes, there are full frame mirrorless cameras on the market now, but their size are limited by their lenses, not the body. I used to need the Changeup and 2 Chimp cages to carry my full D300 system, but now, I can carry everything in the Changeup alone, including chargers and batteries and still have room to spare. A big plus for travelling on budget airlines.

fb_17

Street scenes and photographing strangers are becoming more interesting for me. The quiet shutter of the EM5 and distance markings on the primes allow for super discrete shooting. I’m still working on improving my zone focusing and “guess-position”, but I am only restricted by my skill, not my gear.

p_8

Of course, the Nokton. I can rave about size and weight reduction, but contradict myself with this lens mounted. But if I were to go on a holiday with only 1 lens, this is the guy to take with me. The color rendition is unlike any other, and the speed allows hand-held moonlit shots to be feasible. Best lens for environmental portraits in the M43 world. The only moment I felt handicapped by its lack of autofocus is when I hand it over to someone else for a self portrait. Have to rely on zone focusing for that..

fb_1-3

This is also the first time I’ve been overseas for so many times. Visit to Baltimore and NYC were great eye-openers for me. Also glad the fall colors were ripe when I was there. Too bad I had no time for camping trips.. could have seen much more. Ha. In addition, Mount Bromo and Taiwan are also very photogenic places. The EM5 had a lot of work to do yea? (also including Cambodia =)

2014 new year resolution (on photography):

  • Take more meaningful photographs
  • Practice with the 25mm more (heavily underutilized ever since the Nokton came)
  • Spend less on gear
  • Take the EM5 to more places!

Stay alive!

0 comments:

Post a Comment