Sunday, July 13, 2008

Le Grand Finale

Behold the bringer of light - We stared in awe as the sun blazed through the cool morning air, waving us goodbye with a spectacular lightshow. What a way to end off this beautiful trip!

More details after the break...
With less than 7 hours of sleep in 2 consecutive days, I was severely reluctant to catch the sunrise (especially when yesterday's was a disappointingly wet one). As my alarm rang, I peeked at the still-dark sky to check visibility. Hmm... not bad. Stars still visible. Called out to my friends (hardly expecting any of them to respond), I dragged my waterlogged tripod and gear down to the beach again.

I was first treated to an eerily beautiful moonrise, which I mistook for an eclipsed sun. Wth happened to our sun today? I was really perplexed for a moment. Thanks to Junzhan for clarifying that it's the moon we are seeing. Ok... i'm blur.

Minutes later, the lightshow began. The horizon glowed the "tekong glow", a wonderful gradient of yellow to blue, and i was fully awake now. There was a field of altocumulus clouds in the distance that would really bloom when the sun comes out. I began to panic as i did not have a proper composition in mind yet - I wasn't prepared to shoot with the sea at high tide.

After rattling off a few mediocre "smooth-water" frames, I was frustrated.. something was missing in my pics. There was no action... no movement. Not the best way to present the grand sunrise imminent.

I clambered over hard and slippery rocks in search for nice waveforms, and spotted this cool rockpool where the water would swirl around before retreating. Setup my stuff just in time to catch the first rays of light clipping at the clouds.

Here's a snapshot taken by my newly made friend Simin, shooting conveniently from the balcony of the resort bar. That's me in the back swapping lenses.

The sun made its entrance as a pink round blob, rising rapidly from the horizon. There was simply no time to wait for a big wave. The scene's contrast is very high as well. Switching to CH i bracketed multiple series hoping to get a few right. No time to think now.

The best pictures were shot with 2 GND8 filters stacked (6 stops total difference). The bigger waves came in soon enough, and they were useful in portraying the life and energy in the scene. As the camera continued filling up a whole 2 GB card, I stood to take in the breathtaking send-off vista.

Adios Redang!

0 comments:

Post a Comment