Thursday, November 23, 2006

Clean and Clear

I'm not selling any facial cream here.

Many people send their DSLRs to manufacturer for CCD cleaning, which ranges from $20-100 per clean. Its simply daylight robbery for me. Sadly, the extra money is spent purely for peace of mind.

I use a d70, bought second hand, and without any warranty left. The guy who sold me clearly did not maintain it well, resulting in a plethora of dust on the sensor. I was tempted to send it to nikon, but luckily i came to my senses and ditched the idea.

Got a pack of 50 lens cleaning sheets for 2 bucks, wrapped it around an ice-cream stick and taking a deep breath, swiped the sensor in one firm movement. To my horror, i saw a STREAK... i thought this was the end of the world...

Luckily, it was just some unevaporated lens cleaning solution. A test image showed no scratches, and much to my delight, less dust! I became bolder and swiped the sensor many more times, each time increasing pressure, till 95% of the dust is gone. (the world isn't perfect, its better to have 1 or 2 specks of dust than to have a scratch)

Now i'm glad my sensor is sufficiently clean, and i only spent 1 cent (i used 1/4 of a lens tissue btw)

Conclusion: Be brave my men! Don't let fear be your weakness.

Disclaimer: This information is provided solely for the reader's information and is not meant to be taken as an advice. The author will not be held responsible for any damages to the reader's camera and loss of warranty, where applicable, by following the procedures described in this article. The reader is taking his own risks by following these procedures!

0 comments:

Post a Comment